OPEN (C)ALL 2023¬
JULY 7–DECEMBER 31, 2023
CALL FOR ARTWORK SUBMISSIONS
The Virginia Museum of Contemporary Art invites Hampton Roads artists of all ages to participate in our upcoming exhibition Open (C)all 2023: Curious Collections. The exhibition will be displayed in conjunction with Virginia MOCA’s main gallery exhibition Collector’s Edition.
What do you collect? Create one work of art inspired by your collection while meeting the submission guidelines below. Accepted submissions will be displayed in our Community Gallery.
People collect all kinds of things for many reasons. Some people collect to fulfill practical needs or as a hobby, while others collect to satisfy an emotional desire or to create a sense of identity.
Do you enjoy the thrill of the hunt? Many collectors delight in the challenge of finding rare or unique items.
Do the objects you collect hold special memories and connections to the past?
People often find meaning and value in collecting family heirlooms, vintage items, or historical artifacts.
Does your collection connect you to a community? Collecting can help to establish identity and reinforce a sense of self while connecting you to others who have similar interests and shared experiences.
Or maybe collecting just simply brings you joy!
EXHIBITION AND SUBMISSION DETAILS Open (C)all 2023 will be on display at Virginia MOCA from July 7–December 31, 2023.
Virginia MOCA reserves the right to decline or exclude a submission if it does not align with the prompt, contains inappropriate content, or if the work lacks sufficient hardware to install.
Artwork will only be accepted based on the following requirements:
• Open (C)all 2023 is open to Hampton Roads artists of all ages
• Only one (1) piece of artwork per artist
• All work must be two-dimensional (collage and relief elements are acceptable but must be a reasonable depth, no more than 3 inches) • All work must fit within a 16” x 16” square
• Artwork must not exceed 25 lbs
• Artwork does not include any unstable live media or food
• Artwork must be ready to hang. Virginia MOCA staff will not accept work that is submitted without proper hanging devices. A wire on the backside of your artwork is highly recommended
• Artwork can be in any medium (painting, photography, etc.) if it adheres to the requirements above
• All work must include the submission form’s detachable label. A valid email address and phone number are required
Please complete and attach the form’s label to the back of your artwork. This form is required and is how museum staff will contact you to collect your artwork at the end of the exhibition.
Artwork is to be dropped off in person at the Museum located at 2200 Parks Avenue, Virginia Beach, VA 23451. Artwork can be submitted in person only from 10:00 AM–1:00 PM on the following dates:
Friday, June 2
Saturday, June 3
Sunday, June 4
No mailed submissions will be accepted.
Artwork can be collected from 10:00 AM–4:00 PM on the following dates:
Thursday, January 11
Friday, January 12
Saturday, January 13
Sunday, January 14
You will receive a reminder email from Virginia MOCA staff prior to these dates stating that your artwork is available for pickup.
Virginia MOCA cannot insure works on display during the exhibition. The Museum cannot accommodate placing artwork in specific locations in the gallery. Artwork will be accepted for display only and will not be for sale. Virginia MOCA staff will contact any artist and pass along their contact information with their written permission in the event there is an interested buyer.
If you have any questions or concerns, please contact Truly Matthews, Assistant Director of Education & Engagement, at email@example.com or call (757) 425 0000 x329.