Previous Exhibitionsback to exhibitions
Vik Muniz: poetics of perception
Internationally recognized for his startling use of materials, Vik Muniz creates stunning images, while investigating the history of art and of visual reproduction. By employing diverse objects such as toys, diamonds, industrial garbage, and minute magazine clippings, Muniz creates tableaus which are preserved through photographic reproduction. Attuned to the history of image-making, Muniz's complex compositions investigate the nature of visual cognition, and promise to engage and inspire. His award-winning documentary, Waste Land, will be screened during the course of the exhibition. This exhibition is organized by Virginia MOCA and guest curated by Carla Hanzal.
Carla Hanzal is an independent curator based in Charlotte, North Carolina. Hanzal previously served as the Curator of Modern and Contemporary Art at the Mint Museum (2002-2012) where she organized 40 exhibitions, including initiating the VantagePoint contemporary art series and the nationally-recognized exhibition, Romare Bearden: Southern Recollections. Prior to working at the Mint, Hanzal was curator of the Contemporary Art Center of Virginia, now MOCA (1997-2002).
Learn more about this artist via MOCA's exhibition materials:
- Exhibition Invitation
- Gallery Guide
- Gallery Didactic -Introduction
- Gallery Didactic -Pictures of Garbage
- Gallery Didactic -Diamond Divas
TEEN AUDIO STOPS
- Vik Muniz- Still Live with Three Puppies, After Gauguin (Pictures of Magazines) by Alexa Pryer
- Vik Muniz- The Reader, after Fragonard (Pictures of Chocolate) by Caitlin Wagner
- Vik Muniz- Marilyn Monroe (Pictures of Diamonds) by Kendall Graham and Josh Herndon
- Vik Muniz- Zebra, After George Stubbs (Pictures of Magazines 2) by Kristin Marsh
- Vik Muniz- Grace Kelly (Pictures of Diamonds) by Lindsay Lamb