National Light it Up Blue Day
Each April 2, Autism Speaks celebrates Light It Up Blue along with the international autism community, in commemoration of the United Nations-sanctioned World Autism Awareness Day. For more information on Autism Speaks visit www.autismspeaks.org
The Virginia Museum of Contemporary Art participates in National Light it Up Blue Day by turning on blue LED lights in the main Atrium of the museum on April 2nd during our normal operating hours of 10am-4pm and sharing by our participation as a Blue Building on social media. Additionally, MOCA staff wear blue for the day.
MOCA is fortunate to have private funding from a local family to provide tours for ID students, some of which include students with autism. The Cohen Family Memorial Fun supports Student Art Start (SAS) tours for Intellectually Disabled Level 1 & 2 students from Virginia Beach Public Schools, both Middle and High Schools. MOCA works with the Parent Support and Information Center, Office of Programs for Exceptional Children at VBCPS to organize these tours. Click here for more information on MOCA Tours.
City of Virginia Beach facilities participating include:
- Convention Center Tower (1000 19th St.)
- Virginia Aquarium (717 General Booth Blvd.)
- Virginia Museum of Contemporary Art (2200 Parks Ave.)
- The Oceanaire Resort Hotel (3421 Atlantic Ave.)
- Law Enforcement Memorial (35th Street at the Boardwalk)
- Sculpture at Princess Anne Commons (corner of Princess Anne Road and Dam Neck Road)
- Armada Hoffler Tower (222 Central Park Ave., Town Center
- The Westin
- The Wave Sculpture (Laskin Road roundabout)